Blog #1: Six Word Memoir

What is the Sin of Sloth?

Little Tim: "Dad, I got in trouble today for something that I didn't do". 

Dad: "What? That's not right! I'll call the school up right now to get this cleared up... So Timmy, what was it that you didn't do?" 

Little Tim: "My homework..." 

Is it wrong to be punished for something you didn't do?
Though it was a tough lesson to learn, through my recent experiences here at SDSU, I've learned that inaction can often have consequences just as bad if not more severe than actions themselves. 

I was a quiet kid back all throughout elementary and high school. One of those students who never stood out, joined any clubs/ sports, or participated in school events. On the flip side I had better grades than most, and I decided it would be enough to get into a University.

Upon starting college, like so many others, I was convinced that this would be the turning point in my life. We were given a second chance to redefine ourselves and I'm sure everyone at one point or another thought they would be making lots of friends, be more outgoing, start studying harder, get amazing grades, get an internship or dream job, become successful, and all to make up for those imperfections we see in ourselves. And often times a lot of us do improve upon our weak points, but to an extent. 

Making tons of friends, that was my Freshman resolution. I remember forcing myself to talk to everyone, dorm mates, classmates, professors, anyone really. But no matter where I went or who I talked to, it was really hard finding common ground. Everyone else seemed to have a background in either sports, band/ music, or had been president of the Watermelon club or something. I had no interest in these things because I never participated in extracurriculars during High School, even though I had every opportunity to do so. And because of that, because I chose not to do something, I was left in the dark. When the presidents of watermelon clubs were having seed spitting contests, and basketball players reminisced on their greatest victories, I had neglected to participate and that in itself was Slothful. From that point forward I decided that even though I can't change what I did (or didn't do) in the past, I can change what I do now, and decided that I would never be slothful again.  

Today, I've tried many different activities and discovered what my interests and hobbies are. I've met many others who share those similar interests and have made "trying new things" a favorite activity of mine. It's easy not to do something, but I believe that way of thinking will leave you in the dark, just as it did for me.   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #8 Last Blog

Blog #7 Writing is Hard, But it has Potential Power