Blog #7 Writing is Hard, But it has Potential Power



Image result for writing is hard

Finally, a blog prompt I can find relatable! Writing is hard, but it has potential power.

Maybe this will be my new motto, as someone who has always found writing exceptionally difficult, I have never liked to write and when I do have to put in so much focus in what I write that it's rarely enjoyable either.

I believe one of the main reasons I never majored in science, despite being naturally adept in STEM careers is simply because I would hate to do all that damn writing. Research reports perfected with both scientific acclaim and also literary merit just sound like it would suck the joy out of being a scientist. Ever since I choose to study engineering, it's been nothing but numbers and formulas. I haven't had to write anything in a long time, and honestly I've never been happier.

I understand that some people enjoy writing, some actually love to write. Such people are like aliens to me, the comfort and joy they find in writing on a daily basis alludes me. The subjectivity and unbounded possibilities of writing are much too difficult to understand. In school writing or any writing really, there is no "right answer", there is no single correct way to write something and there is no single perfect essay. To me writing is hard because it has no restrictions, as a math-oriented person, the freedom and possibilities that writing has grants it the potential to be more complex than any algebraic expression could ever hope to be.  

However, despite the fact that I will never become a professional writer myself, I do appreciate good writing and am grateful to those individuals who have been able to unlock the complex mystery of writing for others. I am an avid reader, I love that well-written books and journals can impart powerful knowledge on their readers, and develop real emotions from just the black and white words on their pages.

Image result for best books 

The majority of my time I spend reading books that teach. Any skill can be learned from books: playing an instrument, hobbies, and even guides to becoming a better writer. I see these books as lifetimes, experiences and knowledge learned from a writer who has lived in this world and mastered those skills. They have used writing to immortalize their knowledge into a book, and are willing to share their writings as long as you are willing to read it.
Knowledge is power, and writing is the source of knowledge.  







Comments

  1. Great post and interesting perspective.
    Btw, I am one of those people who feel compelled to write, and honestly, I don't understand people who love to play with numbers. I know it's important. I even appreciate all the things number people do. Seriously. Without them, I wouldn't have this computer I am typing on now. But my soul would shrivel up and die if that were my job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #8 Last Blog

Blog #1: Six Word Memoir